Thursday, March 14 is Last Day to File 471s for FY 2013!
March 12, 2013
As of this morning, 34% of PA applicants still had NOT filed their Form 471s for FY 2013. The Funding Year 2013 Form 471 Filing Window closes at 11:59 p.m. EST, Thursday, March 14. Here are a few quick reminders:
1) Multi-Year Contracts: Although you may have a multi-year contract (and didn't have to post a new 470 this year), you are still required to submit a Form 471 Funding Request each year to request E-rate funding. There is no such thing as a multi-year E-rate funding commitment.
2) Online System Errors?: Simply close your browser, open a new browser and try again. This almost always works.
3) Form 471 Extensions: March 14 is the deadline. There is no way to request a Form 471 extension.
4) Correcting a mistake: If you have made an error on your 471 and you have already hit submit, you can correct it 1 of 2 ways:
a/ (Recommended) Submit a new 471 before the March 14 deadline with a new, correct FRN, and then cancel the original erroneous FRN when the PINK Receipt Acknowledgement Letter (RAL) arrives. -- OR --
b/ Wait and just correct the mistake on the RAL. More information about RAL corrections will be forthcoming.
5) Item 21 Attachments: Item 21 attachments are required to be submitted or postmarked by the close of the window. If they aren't submitted, USAC will grant a short grace period after the window closes where they will still be accepted.
6) 28-Day Waiting Period: Be sure you don't submit the Form 471 for at least 28 days since the date you posted your 470.
7) NCES Codes: If your school doesn't have an NCES code -- leave it blank! If you've already looked on the NCES database http://nces.ed.gov/GLOBALLOCATOR/ and your school doesn't have one, leave it blank on the form. You'll get a pop-up reminder, just hit OK and proceed with your application. Also, only school buildings have NCES codes -- non-instructional facilities (NIFs) do not. There is NO WAY to request an NCES code.
8) If you don't have a PIN: You can submit your 471 online even if you don't have a PIN. Hit submit, then print out the paper certification and mail it to the SLD by Thursday, March 14. The SLD will then mail you a PIN about 2 weeks later that you can use to certify all future E-rate applications.
9) Calling CSB: If you call the SLD's Client Service Bureau (888-203-8100) this week (8am - 8pm M-W, and 8am - midnight Thursday), hit '0' when you reach the recording to reach a live agent. Don't leave a message.
10) Questions about Forms: If you have a question about a particular issue or item on the Form, please refer to one of these previous e-mails as the answer is likely there!
Form 471: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2013/02-26-13.html
Item 21 Attachments: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2013/03-05-13.html
Signing Contracts: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2013/02-24-13.html
Selecting Vendors/Bid Evaluation: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2013/02-22-13.html
Please e-mail me if you need assistance. Happy Filing!
Julie Tritt Schell
PA E-rate Coordinator
717-730-7133 - o
717-730-9060 - f