Wednesday, March 26 is Last Day to File 471s for FY 2014!
March 23, 2014
As of this morning, 37% of PA applicants still had NOT filed their Form 471s for FY 2014. The Funding Year 2014 Form 471 Filing Window closes at 11:59 p.m. EST, Wednesday, March 26. Here are a few quick reminders:
1) Multi-Year Contracts: Although you may have a multi-year contract (and didn’t have to post a new 470 this year), you are still required to submit a Form 471 Funding Request each year to request E-rate funding. There is no such thing as a multi-year E-rate funding commitment.
2) Online System Errors? Simply close your browser, open a new browser and try again. This almost always works.
3) Form 471 Extensions: March 26 is the deadline. There is no way to request a Form 471 extension.
4) Correcting a mistake: If you have made an error on your 471 and you have already hit submit, you can correct it 1 of 2 ways:
a/ Submit a new 471 before the March 26 deadline with a new, correct FRN, and then cancel the original erroneous FRN when the BLUE Receipt Acknowledgement Letter (RAL) arrives.
– OR –
b/ Wait and just correct the mistake on the RAL. RAL changes/corrections should be faxed to USAC at: 973-599-6526 (this number isn’t printed on the RAL).
5) Item 21 Attachments: Item 21 attachments are supposed to be submitted or postmarked by the close of the window. If they aren’t submitted, USAC will grant a short grace period after the window closes where they will still be accepted.
6) 28-Day Waiting Period: Be sure you don’t submit the Form 471 for at least 28 days since the date you posted your 470.
7) NCES Codes: If your school doesn’t have an NCES code — leave it blank! If you’ve already looked on the NCES database http://nces.ed.gov/GLOBALLOCATOR/ and your school doesn’t have one, leave it blank on the form. You’ll get a pop-up reminder, just hit OK and proceed with your application. Also, only school buildings have NCES codes — non-instructional facilities (NIFs) do not. There is NO WAY to request an NCES code.
8) If you don’t have a PIN: You can submit your 471 online even if you don’t have a PIN. Hit submit, then print out the paper certification and mail it to the SLD by Wednesday, March 26. The SLD will then mail you a PIN about 2 weeks later that you can use to certify all future E-rate applications.
9) Questions about Forms: If you have a question about a particular issue or item on the Form, please refer to one of these previous e-mails (or the attached FAQ) as the answer is likely there!
Form 471: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2014/03-10-14.html
New Item 24 Questions: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2014/03-03-14_3.html
Item 21 Attachments: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2014/03-13-14.html
Signing Contracts: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2014/03-01-14_2.html
Selecting Vendors/Bid Evaluation: http://e-ratepa.org/Listserve-Archive/2014/02-24-14_2.html
Please e-mail me if you need assistance. Happy Filing!
Julie Tritt Schell
PA E-rate Coordinator
717-730-7133 – o
717-730-9060 – f