Updating the Form 498, Per USAC’s Request

August 19, 2019

Attached: Form 498 Filers

Attached: Modifying a 498 – Guide 2019

Last week USAC sent an e-mail to applicants, asking you to update your Form 498 with a new “business type” field (the Form 498 is the form that’s required to be on-file with USAC with your banking information so USAC can deposit the BEAR reimbursements – I call it the ‘498 Direct Deposit Form’.)  USAC is being required to comply with the DATA Act of 2014 which requires the federal government to transform its spending information into easily searchable, open data, and in order to be in compliant, they need to collect this information.

This is not urgent, but if you have a 498 on file with USAC, you will have to update the form.  And it’s extremely simple to do, so take care of now so USAC does not continue sending you messages.  This is also a great time to make sure that the Remittance Contact listed on the form is up-to-date as this is the person who receives the BEAR reimbursement deposit notification e-mails.

Below are answers to what I expect are your questions, below that are the steps to updating your form, and attached is a Guide.  Also attached is a list of the PA entities that I believe have Form 498s on file with USAC and therefore will have to update the form. 

  • Which entities must respond?  Any entity that has a Form 498 already on file with USAC must update their form.
  • How do I know if we have a 498 on file with USAC?  Check the attached spreadsheet for a list of PA Billed Entities that have existing Form 498s on file with USAC.  If you DO NOT HAVE a Form 498 on file with USAC (which also means you don’t use the BEAR Form 472 for invoicing to USAC), you can disregard this message.
  • What’s the deadline?  USAC is asking that all Form 498s be updated by the end of October.  There is no impact to your current or future BEARs if you don’t update the form in a timely manner, but USAC will continue to send you messages until you make the update.
  • What information is needed?  You will be asked to select a “business type” from a pre-set list of dropdowns (clearly the list was not developed by USAC or with schools and libraries in mind).  You will not be penalized in any way for choosing the wrong drop down; however, I suggest using the following:
    • Public School Districts - Independent School District
    • IUs, Library Systems, and most consortia - U.S. Regional Organization
    • Private Schools, Charter Schools, and Independent Libraries – Nonprofit with 501C3 IRS Status (Other than an Institution of Higher Education), or “Other”

            — Also, if you didn’t enter your entity’s DUNS number when the form was first filed, you must enter that as well. Go to: https://www.dnb.com/duns-number/lookup.html to search for your organization and then have your DUNS number e-mailed to you.

  • If we don’t have a Form 498 on file with USAC, must we file one?  No.  But in the future, if you want to pay your vendors in full and then seek reimbursement using the Form 472 BEAR, then you will need to submit a Form 498 and go through the approval process before your first BEAR is filed.
  • Do I need to resubmit my cancelled check?  No.  The only time you will be required to e-mail USAC a copy of your voided or cancelled check and go through the re-approval process is if you change your banking information.
  • Who can update the Form 498 in EPC?   Only a “school or library official” can certify and submit the Form 498.  That status is given to an EPC User by their EPC Account Administrator (to change someone’s status, the AA should click on Manage Users).  A consultant may update the form, but they must have the EPC system “Send for Certification” to the school or library official for certification because consultants cannot certify this form.
  • Can I update other information on the Form 498?  Absolutely.  Please look at the Remittance Contactespecially as this is the person who receives the electronic BEAR Remittance Statements via e-mail.  Make sure this person is still the appropriate individual to receive these messages at your school or library.
  • Do I have to submit the Form 498 each year?  No, this form is one you just submit once with your banking information so USAC knows to what bank account they should remit your BEAR reimbursement funds.

Steps to Update Form 498:

1.  Log in to EPC

2.  Click the “Records” tab at the top of the page.

3.  Choose “FCC Form 498” from the list of entries.

4.  Click on the “Nickname” or “498 ID” of the form you want to modify.

5.  Click “Modify FCC Form 498” in the top right corner of the page.

6.  At the bottom of the 1st page, select the Business Type, then Save and Continue.

7.  On the 3rd page, enter your DUNS number if this field is blank.

8.  Update any other information that has changed.

9.  Click Save and Continue until you’ve certified the form.

If you have any questions, please contact me!

Happy updating!

– Julie

Julie Tritt Schell
Pennsylvania E-rate Coordinator
717-730-7133 – o

Site graciously hosted by the Capital Area IU 15 | Site designed and maintained by Silver Penny Studio